Tuxford Academy has a First Aid Co-ordinator, Mrs Carol Harrison, She is based in the First Aid Room in Sherwood Winter Gardens. She deals with first aid and illness that occurs in school.
Mrs Harrison works from 8.30am until 3.30pm, term-time only. Her telephone number is 01777 870001, extension 567.
Mrs Harrison can also:
- Store prescribed medication in the First Aid Room. Parents/carers need to contact Mrs Harrison before sending this in to school with their child as there is a consent form that needs to be completed by them. Medication needs to be in its original packaging with the pharmacy label highlighting the student's name and dosage instruction.
- Liaise with parents/carers about the health of their child.
- Liaise with the School Nursing Service and other outside agencies, when it relates to the health of a student.
- Write a medical care plan for students and staff, where appropriate,
- Health promotion in school.
If students are feeling unwell, they should not contact parents/carers themselves, but should speak to either a First Aider, or a member of staff at one of the reception desks. A member of staff has to issue a signing out slip if students leave the premises during the school day.
There should be at least one staff member with a first aid qualification accompanying any trips going out from Tuxford Academy.
In the absence of Mrs Harrison, several other members of school staff are also first aid trained. They can deal with minor illnesses and injuries that occur on site. Any prescribed medications stored in school can still be given. They are unable to give medical advice to students. Their role is to assess any injuries sustained in school and to refer to a doctor or hospital if serious. Students need to ask at their College Reception or at the Main Reception desk and they will contact a first aider.
If your child is unwell but is well enough to stay in school, Mrs Harrison can contact parent/carers for permission to administer paracetamol. If Mrs Harrison cannot get hold of anyone, she cannot give it, unless she has written consent and the prescribed medication already here.
If you have any queries relating to the health of your child, please contact Mrs Harrison on the above number. Non urgent queries can be emailed into Mrs Harrison - Email firstname.lastname@example.org