The original building on the campus - later called The Sherwood Building - opened as the County Secondary School in 1958. Mr Woodward was the Head Teacher and Mr Jeffcott was the Deputy Head. From the very beginning there was a lively approach to education and a concern for the whole child.

The school building won an award for its innovative design and its construction was filmed as an example of advanced technology. The construction method was promoted by a local government consortium called CLASP. Unfortunately as the years went by a few problems with the construction emerged and generations of teachers and pupils have alternately fried and frozen. All in the school were eternally grateful that the "tower block" (English Suite) and the rest of The Sherwood Building had been re-clad with double glazed windows and heat efficient panels. The farm unit was originally a key element in the life of the school but was demolished in 2002. At the beginning it was a very active feature of the new school and there was a large membership of the Young Farmers.


The staff in 1960. Headteacher, Mr Woodward, is in the centre of the front row and Deputy,        Mr Jeffcott, is on the left of him on the picture.




The school has been much enlarged from its original design, shown above. The first addition was the library block in 1972, built on the far side of the quadrangle, looking out over the school fields. This is now the drama studio, equipped with studio lighting and portable sound equipment. In the same year the Raising of the School Leaving Age meant more space and vocational provision was needed. The "ROSLA" block (now known as The Trent Building and base for our Maths & Technology departments) was finished in 1973 and in that year there were 498 pupils on roll.

An early staff photo. The back of the school, 1958 Mr Bernard Woodward,
Head 1958-1978

Mr Woodward established our unique Tuxford culture based on good humour, meeting challenges cheerfully and being tolerant of others.


In 1976 the LEA decided to re-organise education in the county on comprehensive lines. Tuxford was to welcome the whole ability range and to increase in size. The front of the school was extended to provide more office and staffroom space. More significantly the "Lower School" (now called The Clumber Building and housing the Humanities and Modern Languages suites) was built ready for the first enlarged intake.

Keith Atkinson MBE, Head 1978-1996.  

"The Boss" supervised the school's rapid growth and established its high reputation as a centre of excellence.



When Mr Atkinson became the Head of the school in September 1978 the Lower School housed the first two years of the school in a virtually self-sufficient unit with Mr Fursey at its head. The Youth Wing was built at this time also.  Further additions to the school have been in the form of 'temporary' classrooms (five doubles and two singles) and internal refurbishment. Spaces have been ingeneously turned into classrooms, offices and toilets - to the amazement of visitors who remember the building as it was. The uses of other spaces have changed several times.

Keith Atkinson and his team pose 

outside the "Lower School"

The old school uniform

There are now over 1000 pupils on the school roll including a thriving sixth form. The examination results are excellent and we have a waiting list to join the school. Generally pupils are taught in mixed ability groups for their first year and then are gradually placed in ability groups for most of their subjects. The curriculum is now defined by the National Curriculum, but there is still room for sporting excellence, drama and music, foreign travel, charity work, special projects and business education partnerships. After its first Ofsted inspection in 1995 the government awarded Tuxford a Good Schools Award for its excellence, and on his retirement in 1996, Mr Atkinson was award an MBE for his services to education. The school has Investors in People accreditation and since 1998 is the proud recipient of a Charter Mark for quality public service. The current Head Teacher, Mr Chris Pickering, continues the school's commitment to excellence and to the maintenance of an informal but purposeful atmosphere.

Ruby Anniversary

On Saturday 26th November 1998, over 150 people came to the school to celebrate its fortieth birthday. Staff and pupils took the visitors on tours of the school so they could revisit old haunts and see how the place had changed over the years. The tours finished in the Partnership Room where there was an exhibition of photographs, documents and memorabilia. The school's records had been raided for this, as had County Archives in Nottingham, and past pupils and staff had lent some of their photographs and possessions. Some brave souls even let us look through their old report books, and a highlight for some of the first pupils was to see themselves on a film of Young Farmers events which the school had had put on video.

After the tours and exhibition, there was a hearty buffet supper provided by teacher Julie Hethershaw, pupils and members of the PTA, and the PTA had also arranged a bar. Mrs Farrell had made a giant birthday cake with candles, and after singing 'Happy Birthday', the audience was entertained by a cabaret provided by Head of Music Ian Chappell and pupils of the school. The PTA also had a stall selling commemoration mugs and tea towels.


In 2002 the school successfully bid for Technology College status - and much needed funds were released by central government for new staff and equipment. In 2002 also we learned that the school was to be rebuilt at a cost of £15 millions - the move scheduled for early 2007. The County Council was unable to win government funding for many years, but a bid for £75 millions to re-organise secondary education throughout Bassetlaw was finally accepted.  Before the move into the new school we made no secret of the fact that we were in dire need of more space and better equipment to carry out our task of educating students for the 21st Century. We achieved impressive results in spite of, rather than with the assistance of, our working conditions. Work on the new school began in July 2005 and it was completed in February 2007. The first working day in the new building was 2nd March 2007.

The Current School Building








We moved into our new premises in March 2007 - and it's great!

Tuxford School benefited from a successful bid in 2001 by Nottinghamshire County Council to the government for PFI (private finance). A brand new £18 million building was constructed between July 2005 and February 2007 so any pupil entering the school now can expect to enjoy state of the art facilities.

During the same period the school secured funding through successful applications for technology college and training school status. Half a million pounds were provided through the technology bid to improve our investment in information technology, maths, science and technology.

New opportunities and new challenges lie ahead because Tuxford School is eager to go from strength to strength. Pupils, parents, staff and governors are united in their determination to be the best.

In this section